After considering other destinations, the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) decided to keep its annual trade show RECon in Las Vegas for another two years with the option for a three-year extension.
ICSC’s current contract runs through 2017. The new contract begins in 2018 to potentially 2022, if the extension is exercised.
ICSC presented the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority board with a demo check to the Las Vegas community for $223 million, which is the estimated non-gaming impact of the show for Southern Nevada.
“We are excited to keep RECon in Las Vegas, where it has been every year since 1986,” said Tim McGuinness, vice president of global trade expositions, ICSC.
He added, “I’m still a little shell-shocked by the welcome we received here from the mayor, the governor, Donny and Marie. It was truly spectacular. We’re thrilled to be back here.”
“This was a very competitive process, and Las Vegas rose to the challenge with our resort partners working together to show why we are the No. 1 trade show destination in North America and how we intend to stay on top through continual reinvention and the development of the Las Vegas Global Business District,” said Rossi Ralenkotter, president/CEO for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA).
RECon is the global convention for the shopping center industry attracting more than 34,000 attendees and 1,000 exhibitors from around the world to the Las Vegas Convention Center every year.
The trade show was first held in Las Vegas in 1976. Since then, RECon has generated more than $1 billion in non-gaming economic impact for the Las Vegas economy and brought almost 900,000 attendees to the destination.
The 2015 RECon show will be held May 17-20 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
- Industry News